Minutes of the Town Projects Meeting held on 8 th February 2011 in the Council Chamber, Council Offices, Windmill Lane, Northam at 10.00am


Present: Cllrs Miller (Chairman), Mrs Whittaker, Hames, Johnson, and Langton,

In attendance: Cllr Eastman

Mrs Jane Mills, Town Clerk


1102/63 Chairman's announcements

There was a discussion on the proposal regarding the website North Devon.com and it was agreed to refer the matter to Full Council, a visit to North Devon+ is to be arranged so that members will have a fuller knowledge of the situation.

1102/64 Apologies

Apologies were received from Cllr Edwards and Cllr Robinson.


1102/65 Declarations of interest

Members were reminded that all interests should be declared prior to the item being discussed.


1102/66 To agree the Agenda as published

It was resolved to agree the Agenda as published.


1102/67 To confirm and sign the minutes of the Town Projects Meeting held on 18th January 2011

It was resolved to confirm and sign the minutes as a true record of the meeting.


1102/68 To consider items referred from Full Council

•  Queen Elizabeth II Fields Challenge

It was resolved to put forward Anchor Park as a suitable area and to write to Torridge asking if they could submit Lords Meadow as a possible beneficiary.

•  Wind powered traction activities Westward Ho! beach

The Council considered the consultation from Torridge District Council and

resolved that option 3 was its preferred choice, restricted to special events with proper stewarding. However it would not be against option 2 if a strictly controlled and licensed area was available. It is most unhappy with the current situation.


1102/69 To consider seasonal street decorations.

It was resolved to continue as last year with the same supplier for artificial hanging baskets. This was the most competitive agreement.


1102/70 To consider correspondence received regarding Blackies

A request was received from Appledore Residents Association with regard to planting an orchard at Blackies. The Clerk has corresponded with Torridge as freeholders and they have no objection in principle. The Clerk was asked to write to the Residents Association asking for more detailed plans.


1102/71 To consider Anchor Park (Cllr Hames to report)

An open day is planned for May/June and the current project is for levelling the football field. The Clerk reported that Northam Town Council appear to own the wall.

It was agreed to research the trust situation further and put this on the Agenda for the next meeting.


1102/72 To consider an approach from Torridge regarding toilets in Westward Ho!

The Council is waiting for further information from Torridge so this will be on the Agenda for the next meeting.


1102/73 To consider an update on the Newsletter (Cllr Hames to report)

Cllr Hames presented an outline for the newsletter and Cllr Miller agreed to assist with design for a front cover. It is hoped to publish the next newsletter at the end of March.


1102/74 To consider Highways Matters

•  including grit bins (Councillors to report).

This item carried forward to the next Agenda and the Clerk to ask Highways to ensure the grit bins in the area are topped up.

•  correspondence from Devon County Council Winter Maintenance Community Self Help Schemes/Snow Wardens

This will be included in the future emergency planning.

The Clerk advised of the response regarding street lighting from Mr D'Alesio, which mentioned that the electricity supply was partly to blame. The Clerk will write to Western Power to check on the power supply .


1102/75 To consider an update on the Burrough Farm

•  Correspondence

Correspondence was received from Torridge and it was agreed to submit a planning application. The Clerk updated members on response to previous correspondence.

•  ongoing works

Members were advised of work currently taking place.


There being no further business the meeting closed at 11.45pm