Minutes of a meeting of the Town Council's Planning/ Licensing Committee held in the Council Chamber, Windmill Lane, Northam on Wednesday 14th January 2009.
PRESENT: Chairman - Cllr C K Langton
Members - Cllrs Mrs P Biggs, Mrs A Boyle, Mrs S Collins, B M Edwards, P Hames, R H Osborne together with 31 parishioners
Apologies were recorded on behalf of Cllrs Mrs M Cox, A Eastman, R J Johnson, S Robinson and R W A Miller.
The minutes of the Town Council's Planning/Licensing Committee held 16th December 2008 were approved and signed.
2. Planning applications
1275/07 Proposed retirement care village comprising care home, independent living apartments (84 no) together with social/wellbeing and communal facilities – additional traffic management details - Land at Raleigh Hill, Northam – RESOLVED - Recommend Refusal for the following reasons:-
(1) Raleigh Hill and the improved junction with the mini roundabout is inadequate to deal with the traffic flows.
(2) The proposal to provide virtual pavements gives great cause for concern on such a narrow road with poor visibility. In order to be effective the virtual pavement has to protect the pedestrian and if there is sufficient width why is not a proper footway being provided?
(3) There are grave concerns that the mini roundabout is inadequately designed, particularly for vehicles coming down Raleigh Hill and wishing to turn left towards Heywood Road roundabout.
(4) Despite signage the alternative route via Lenwood Road/Chope Road will be available and, no doubt, used.
(5) The proposals do not adequately allow for the weight of traffic on the main road.
(6) The Council is concerned that approximately 200 metres of Devon hedge is to be lost and not replaced.
(7) They are also concerned that this development, which is outside the development area, has not been justified economically by an independent report. Should not the applicants' claims with regard to the economics be put under close scrutiny?
1160/08 Proposed extensions and alterations to dwelling - 49 New Street, Appledore – RESOLVED – Recommend approval.
1212/08 32 Fairlea Crescent, Northam – Proposed extension - RESOLVED - Recommend approval.
1213/08 Proposed single storey extension to rear of property - Greenhayes, Avon Lane, Westward Ho! – RESOLVED – Recommend approval in principle but disappointed that a flat roof is being proposed and would question whether there would be any overlooking.
1233/08 Proposed conversion of loft to form living accommodation - Elmstead Raleigh Hill – RESOLVED - Recommend approval.
1244/08 Proposed demolition of garage and erection of dwelling and parking spaces including replacement parking for existing dwelling - 27 Scott Avenue, Appledore – RESOLVED - Recommend Refusal – This proposal looks very cramped and would think it is over-intensive use of the site.
1254/08 Proposed variation of condition 3 of planning permission 1/0930/1986 to allow 12 months holiday occupancy -17 Lenwood Country Club, Lenwood Road – RESOLVED - Recommend approval.
(Vote: 6 For, 1 against)
1269/08 Proposed 4 bedroom extension and replacement of conservatory building to form lounge - Northam Lodge Heywood Road – RESOLVED - Recommend approval.
1274/08 Proposed enlargement of existing dormer window plus new window to rear and minor alterations - 9 Alpha Place Appledore – RESOLVED - Recommend approval but drawings a bit misleading. Two separate dormers required and materials to be in keeping with the Conservation Area.
1275/08 Proposed development and extension - 2 bed to 5 bed -San Mere Sandymere Road – RESOLVED - Recommend Refusal – This is a very large extension of a modest bungalow and the proposal raises concerns of over-development with possible over-looking of neighbours.
1277/08 Proposed raised decking over existing garage and formation of car port below - 72 Atlantic Way Westward Ho! – RESOLVED - Recommend Refusal – The proposal spoils the Victorian building façade. The location also seems inappropriate adjoining the highway and raises concerns of overlooking.
TOP OF PAGE BACK TO MINUTES