Minutes of a meeting of the Town Council's Planning/ Licensing Committee held in the Council Chamber, Windmill Lane, Northam on Wednesday 20th June 2007
PRESENT: Chairman - Cllr C K Langton
Members - Cllrs Mrs A J Boyle, Mrs S G Collins, Mrs M Cox,
A Eastman, B M Edwards, P Hames, R J Johnson, R W A Miller,R H Osborne, S R Robinson, R M M Tisdale
together with 9 Parishioners
Apologies were recorded on behalf of Cllr J Braund
The minutes of the meeting of the Town Council’s Planning/Licensing Committee held 29th May 2007 were approved and signed.
Councillors Mrs Cox and Robinson made the following statement:-
“As both a Town and District Councillor I wish to make it clear that I will reconsider the matter(s) at the District level, taking into account all relevant evidence and representations at the District Council’s Plans committee”.
2. Planning applications
0322/07 41 Market Street, Appledore – Retrospective planning application for
loft conversion and Velux window in roof – RESOLVED - Recommend approval
0410/07 Proposed Change of use to adventure golf course -The Go-Kart track, Pebbleridge, Westward Ho! – RESOLVED - Recommend approval
0513/07 Proposed rear extension to provide improved access and dormers to front and rear - Flat 1, 2 Newquay Street, Appledore – RESOLVED
- Recommend approval. Also concerned about windows at the rear which appear to be aluminium framed.
0573/07 Proposed new double garage with “room in the roof” – work from home studio - 6 Polywell, Appledore – RESOLVED - Recommend Refusal –
The Council is aware that there is existing consent for building on this site but as this is a new full planning application the Council wishes to register the following objections in support of its recommendation:
(1) They are concerned about the height.
(2) They are concerned about the size of the building i.e. its footprint is too large.
(3) The colour of the roofing tile is wrong, too bright and out of keeping.
(4) The type of cladding is inappropriate.
(5) There are other issues e.g. the position of the solar panels and the sun pipes for which it ought to be possible to agree a more suitable positioning.
Cllr Miller declared a pecuniary interest and left the meeting for this application. Cllr Eastman declared a personal interest. Cllrs Robinson and Mrs Boyle advised that they had been lobbied by the applicant and neighbours but had not expressed an opinion. It would appear that most Councillors had been approached by the applicant and objectors to this application.
(Vote: 7 For, 4 Abst
0574/07 Proposed loft conversion, extensions to front of property and 2 windows to east elevation - 61 Bay View Road, Northam – RESOLVED - Recommend Approval
0593/07 Proposed extension of dormer windows to east and west elevations, extension to garage and solar panel - 8 Southwood Drive – RESOLVED - Recommend Approval
0595/07 Engineering operations to reinstate hardstanding with rock infill and concrete - The Slipway, Westbourne Terrace, Westward Ho! – RESOLVED - There are no objections on the understanding that the applicant owns the land.
Cllr Johnson declared an interest and left the meeting for this item.
0603/07 Listed Building application for renovation and alterations -3 Gibbs Lane, Appledore – RESOLVED - Recommend approval and would request that the timber is sourced from sustainable hardwood FFC approved.
Cllr Edwards declared an interest and left the meeting for this item.
0604/07 Proposed Replacement windows to front and rear and replacement door to rear - 4 Hillcliff Terrace, Irsha Street, Appledore – RESOLVED
- Recommend approval. Materials to come from sustainable sources
Councillor Tisdale joined the meeting at this juncture.
(Vote: 11 For, 1 abst)
0651/07 Single storey rear extension – amendment to planning approval to provide flat roof instead of pitch roof - 12 Richmond Road, Appledore
– RESOLVED - Recommend approval.
0693/07 Proposed construction of 6 new semi detached houses - Land to the west of 1 Tomouth Road, Appledore – RESOLVED - Recommend Refusal for the following reasons:
(1) Over intensive use of the site;
(2) Serious overlooking of nearby properties;
(3) Out of keeping on the edge of a conservation area;
(4) Is intrusive;
(5) Changes the character on the edge of a conservation area;
(6) Spoils the outlook from a conservation area;
(7) Would result in the destruction of mature trees;
(8) Concerned about the drainage on a steep site, both new drainage to take the hard landscaping and roof drainage etc and also natural underground drainage which may be affected.
It was also RESOLVED to write to the Government Office for the South West expressing the Council’s concern with regard to this application which was on land previously owned by the District Council. It was also RESOLVED to ascertain if there were any conditions placed on the land by the District Council when they sold to the developer.
Councillor Eastman left the meeting at this juncture.
3. Supplementary Planning documents for Northam, Appledore and Westward Ho!
Members considered the responses from the three working groups together with a letter from Cllr Braund. It was RESOLVED to accept the details as submitted by the groups and Cllr Miller undertook to collate these as a single document which would be sent to the District Council as an initial response.
It was also RESOLVED to ascertain whether Orchard Hill ward had been included in any regeneration type report.