Minutes of a meeting of the Town Council held in the Council Chamber, Windmill Lane, Northam on Wednesday 27 th May 2009
PRESENT: Chairman - Town Mayor Cllr R H Osborne
Members - Cllrs Mrs P Biggs, Mrs S Collins, Mrs M Cox, J Braund, A Eastman, B M Edwards, P Hames, C K Langton, R W A Miller, R Tisdale together with 1 parishioner
Apologies were recorded on behalf of Cllrs Mrs A Boyle, R J Johnson and S R Robinson
The minutes of the Town Council meeting held 28 th April 2009 were approved and signed.
2. Minutes of Town Projects Advisory Committee
The recommendations of the Town Projects Advisory Committee held 12 th May 2009 were considered as follows:-
(1) Hanging Baskets - Concern was expressed regarding the necessary watering. There was further investigation work to do but in view of the need to press on and order the baskets it was RESOLVED to accept the Committee's recommendation.
(Vote: 9 For, 2 abst)
(2) Anchor Park Cllr Hames advised that a list of improvements had been prepared and they were awaiting costings. He suggested that the meeting should wait until the costings were available. Cllr Edwards advised that these costings should be available in the next few days.
(3) Street Cleaning Cllr Miller reported that Castle Street needed attention.
(4) Allotments Cllr Mrs Cox advised that the possibility of using the land at Tadworthy had been referred to the Asset Management Group of the District Council.
(5) Enhancing Northam Gateway This proposal of Cllr Hames was supported but it was thought that the Council needed to establish a register of land that they maintain and it was agreed that this would be a matter for the next Town Projects meeting.
3. Minutes of the Sustainability Working Group held 12 th May 2009
The recommendations of the Sustainability Working Group held 12 th May 2009 were considered as follows:-
Grants for sustainability actions Proposal (a) which was to further consider lowering the Community Centre ceiling with insulation, would need to be considered at the next meeting as both Councillors Cox and Hames declared a prejudicial interest as trustees of the Community Centre.
4. Minutes of the Annual Meeting of the Town Council
The minutes of the Annual Meeting of the Town Council held 13 th May 2009 were approved and signed.
(Vote: 8 For, 3 abst)
5. Minutes of the meeting of the Finance Advisory Committee held 20 th May 2009
The recommendations of the Finance Advisory Committee were considered as follows:-
(1) End of year accounts Cllr Edwards advised Members of the end of year accounts which had been previously circulated and it was RESOLVED to accept the recommendation.
(2) Appledore Skate Park Cllr Edwards reported that the skate park was now completed and that the official opening would be on 14 th June at 3 pm. The contractor would be paid at this meeting with £1000 held back by way of retention for a period of one month.
Cllr Tisdale left the meeting at this juncture.
(3) Burrough Farm and Seagate Cllr Edwards reported that the Committee had considered the loan to be taken out with the Public Works Loan Board for the purchase of land at Burrough Farm and Seagate. It was RESOLVED to accept the recommendation that a loan of £100,000 be sought over a period of five years. It was also agreed to await the report of the Solicitor who was acting on behalf of the Council before proceeding to draw down the loan.
6. Notice of Motion from Cllr Eastman That we have Prayers at the beginning of our Council meeting.
Members considered the above Notice of Motion, which Cllr Eastman explained would be Christian but that he had not included this in his Notice of Motion, and also explored possible wording that would not be offensive to people of other faiths or no faith. It was thought that the persons asked to offer prayers would be sensitive to the many beliefs and it was RESOLVED to accept the Notice of Motion.
(Vote: 8 For, 1 against, 1 abst)
7. Notice of Motion from Cllr Eastman That Northam Town Council fully supports the request to put a traffic light crossing on the central reservation at the junction of Benson Drive and Churchill Way.
Members considered the above Notice of Motion which it was RESOLVED to accept.
Cllr Miller left the meeting at this juncture.
8. Town Clerk's Report
(a) Monthly Financial Report The Town Clerk presented the monthly financial report that included payments for this month and it was RESOLVED to accept.
Cllr Mrs Cox left the meeting at this juncture.
(b) Statement of Accounts for the year ended 31 st March 2009 - The Town Clerk reported that the accounts for the year ending 31 st March 2009, as previously considered by the Finance Advisory Sub Committee needed to be approved by full Council. It was RESOLVED to approve the Statement of Accounts for the year ending 31 st March 2009.
(c) Allotments - Windmill Lane The Town Clerk reported that he had received a request from an allotment holder to place beehives on his site. Members were sympathetic to the request but it was thought necessary to write to the other allotment holders in the first instance to ascertain their views and it was so RESOLVED .
(d) Allotments - Burrough Farm The Town Clerk reported that as the purchase of the land was now proceeding it would be a sensible time to make a planning application for the allotments. It was RESOLVED to make a planning application for allotments together with a vehicular access from Dane Court together with car parking.
(e) Service level agreement for Street Cleaning The Town Clerk reported that the District Council had prepared a Service Level agreement for the street cleaning of Northam. It was a requirement of the agreement that the Town Council fund the cost of the street orderly cart and that one was now required. It was RESOLVED to accept the service level agreement with the proviso that the matter of the cost of the cart be referred to the Finance Advisory Sub Committee for consideration.
9. Streetworks and related matters
(a) Letter from a resident Members considered a letter from Mr Fletcher of Westward Ho! in respect of his concerns about speeding on Buckleigh Road. It was RESOLVED to refer this matter to the new County Councillor for the area following the elections.
(b) Members' items Cllr Hames reported that the footpath from Western Avenue to Staddon Road was in need of attention as a stone wall at the Appledore end had been destroyed and there was a problem drain cover. At the Staddon Road end a sign had been lifted out of the ground and was leaning. It was agreed to refer these matters to the County Council. He also advised that on Churchill Way, on the approach to Appledore just before Staddon Road, there was a flower bed formerly maintained by the District Council but now in disarray. It either needed to be filled in or properly maintained. It was agreed to refer this to the District council.
The Mayor reported that the accident at Heywood Road roundabout, when a vehicle had overturned, was due to the driver looking at their sat nav and not paying proper attention.
10. Northam Burrows
Cllr Langton reported that he had heard a number of sheep had been killed by a dog on the Burrows.
Cllr Eastman reported that Alasdair Barclay, former Northam Burrows warden and former Mayor of the Council, was anxious that the Town Council did not lose contact with the 1716 Committee.
Cllr Edwards reported that there appeared to be a shortage of litter bins on Northam Burrows and in particular on the Appledore entrance road.
TOP OF PAGE BACK TO MINUTES