Minutes of a meeting of the Town Council held in the Council Chamber, Windmill Lane, Northam on Tuesday 28th April 2009


PRESENT: Chairman - Town Mayor – Cllr R M M Tisdale

Members - Cllrs Mrs P Biggs, Mrs A Boyle, Mrs S Collins, Mrs M Cox, J Braund, A Eastman, P Hames, R J Johnson, C K Langton, R H Osborne, together with PC Mike Tricker, PC Dave Buck and PCSO John McGovern Devon & Cornwall Constabulary and12 parishioners

Apologies were recorded on behalf of Cllrs B M Edwards, R W A Miller and S R Robinson

1. 15 minute period for public contributions

Mr Alan Rayner, Senior Council of Devon, explained how the Senior Council had come about and that there are 8 pilot schemes, one of which was Devon. There were approximately 1100 members throughout Devon with a group in Bideford of which he was the Chairman. This group covered the area from Instow to Welcombe.

Mr Rayner supplied an information sheet for Members.

Mr Barry Taylor, Neighbourhood Watch, reported on the current situation with regard to Neighbourhood Watch. They had been active in Appledore and were now considering where to go next and it was thought that Westward Ho! or lower Northam may well be appropriate. It was agreed that they would contact the Westward Ho! Residents' Association for support.

Standing Orders were suspended in order to allow the Police Officers to address the meeting.

PC Mike Tricker advised that this was his last working day and he introduced

PC Dave Buck, the new Officer for the Northam Town area. PC Tricker thanked the Members very much for their support over the years and said that it had been a privilege to work in this area. Members expressed their appreciation to PC Tricker for his years of service.

PCSO John McGovern reported on crime figures for the last quarter. He advised that the current problem was speeding, and in particular, “boy racers”.

Members questioned how one ascertains details on vehicle accidents. The Police advised that these are dealt with by the Traffic Police and all the data is collated by the Police and reported to Devon County Council.

3. Minutes

The minutes of the Town Council meeting held 31 st March 2009 were approved and signed.

(Vote: 10 For, 1 abst)

4. Minutes

The minutes of the Special Meeting of the Town Council to discuss Highway Matters held 9 th April 2009 were approved and signed.

(Vote: 8 For, 3 abst)

5. Minutes

The minutes of the Annual Parish Meeting held 15 th April 2009 were approved and signed.

(Vote: Unanimous)

With regard to the matters raised by parishioners the following action was agreed:-

(a) The petition by Mr T E A Barclay to apply pressure to the District Council to have the road on the Burrows repaired was agreed and it was RESOLVED to send a letter.

(Vote: Unanimous)

(b) The petition by Mrs Mounce regarding the Community Hall on the Morwenna Estate was considered and Cllr Johnson advised that this proposal by Tarka Housing would be subject to public consultation and survey.

(c) It was noted with regret that the County Councillor had not attended the meeting.

(d) The petition by Mr Andrews with regard to the pebbleridge was noted pending receipt of a copy of the report referred to.

(e) The petition by Mrs Tucker regarding the matters on the Burrows was considered. It was reported that the District Council are currently working on Byelaws for kite buggying and model cars. It was agreed that the signage at the entrance to the Burrows was not very explanatory.

(f) The petition by Mrs Avery regarding the lack of footway on Churchill Way was supported as the Council is currently pursuing this matter with the County Council.

6. Notice of Motion from Cllr Osborne : – “ I propose that this Council writes to the Chief Executive of Torridge District Council, with a copy to the head of their Planning Department, requesting that all business, including long-term planning, appertaining to the ward of Orchard Hill be included as part of the Northam Town Council jurisdiction.”

Members considered the above Notice of Motion and it was RESOLVED to write to the Chief Executive of Torridge District Council as proposed.

(Vote: Unanimous)

7. Notice of Motion from Cllr Osborne : ­– “ Will the Council please obtain quotations for the supply and erection of 4 signs as attached to be positioned on the boundary of Northam Orchard Hill as follows:

1. On A39 westbound to the west of the new Torridge Bridge

2. On A39 eastbound to the east of the Kenwith Viaduct

3. On A386 Kingsley Road north of the junction with Alexandra Terrace

4. On Northam Road approaching Kingsley Road before the junction with First Raleigh

“Will the Council please write to Bideford Town Council requesting that they remove their “Bideford – the Little White Town” from the A39 each side of the Heywood Road roundabout”

Cllr Mrs Boyle left the meeting at this juncture.

Members considered the above Notice of Motion and were concerned about the costs and a number of Members thought that residents' views should be ascertained. It was RESOLVED to obtain quotations for a sign which would say “Welcome to Northam gateway to Bideford, the Little White Town.”

(Vote: 6 For, 3 against, 2 abst)

8. Town Clerk's Report

Monthly Financial Report – The Town Clerk presented the monthly financial report that included payments for this month and it was RESOLVED to accept.

(Vote: Unanimous)

9. Streetworks and related matters

Members' items

Cllr Hames requested that the litter bin outside the Council Offices be reinstated. It was agreed that this would be on the next Town Projects Advisory Committee meeting agenda.

Cllr Osborne was concerned about the roundabout accident on 22 nd April and wished to obtain the information from the Collision Data department. It was agreed that Cllr Osborne would follow this up himself.

10. Northam Burrows

Model aeroplanes

Members considered the two letters regarding the flying of model aeroplanes on Northam Burrows. It was understood that the Club had been given to 2010 to find alternative premises but that the lease for this year had not been renewed. It was agreed that Cllrs Eastman and Tisdale would seek a meeting with the District Council Officer to clarify the situation.

11. Settlement Assessment Survey

Cllr Mrs Cox requested Members to complete the survey forms produced by the District Council as these could be used in evidence with regard to future development.

Cllr Osborne was concerned that there were no forms for Orchard Hill ward and it was agreed that he would approach the District Council's Officer, Beth Sachs. Cllr Langton volunteered to do the Northam form.

12. The Power of Community

Members considered a letter from the District Council which was encouraging people to come forward with ideas and proposals to promote the sustainability of their local area. It was agreed that this matter be an item for the Sustainability Committee although it was open to any Member to put forward ideas.